Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog had been having difficulty walking and had a hot spot

on thigh. Took to...
My dog had been having difficulty walking and had a hot spot on thigh. Took to vet and was given pain med and muscle relaxer. Hot spot got bigger. Took to vet again and was given antibiotic. Vet said either allergic reaction or fleas. Gave Nexguard and antibiotic cephalexin on Monday. Tuesday night refused to eat. Yesterday morning only ate a little. Did not give antibiotic last night because she began to dry heave yesterday. First time, got up yellow byle. Hasn't got anything up since. Would not eat last night or this morning. Stopped all meds yesterday except for the AM antibiotic and the omeprazole doctor recommended. Now she is lethargic and will not eat. She was still drinking last night
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Storm, 7 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Storm?
Customer: Not that I can think of
8/31/2017
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Cephalexin can often be responsible for the signs you are seeing, can you give me an idea of her weight and what dose of the cephalexin she is taking?

1 can't read the doctors writing well. I think it says 250x28. Not sure She is supposed to have 2 pills a day. She ways 40 lbs

Are you giving her 1 tablet twice daily?

Then she is at the lower end of the dose range. However I do find this particular antibiotic can lead to nausea and appetite loss in some patients. The omeprazole is a very effective antacid and should be helping settle her stomach, however it may be wise to talk to your vet again, as an alternative antibiotic may agree with her system better. She may even have a mild allergy to cephalexin. Has she had this type of antibiotic in the past?

No

Then the signs you are seeing could well be an adverse reaction to this antibiotic. If Storm was a patient of mine, I would suggest amoxycillin/clavulinic acid or clindamycin as a suitable alternative.

Ok

I would also advise feeding a light diet for the next few days - plain boiled chicken and rice, a little scrambled egg, plain white fish or light cottage cheese. This can help take the strain off an irritated stomach and help things settle down.
Giving ranitidine (zantac) 2-3 times daily as an antacid approximately 1 hour before meals can help things settle down too.
It should be available over the counter at most pharmacies. For a 40lb dog I would recommend a dose of ~40mg 2-3 times daily.
You should be seeing an improvement over the next few days. At that point, you can start to re-introduce Storm`s normal food.

Should I still be giving her the antibiotic?? It also sounds like you think I should switch to Zantac instead of the omeprazole. Is that correct

Apologies, staying on the omperazole rather than the zantac is just fine. It would be wise to stop the antibiotic in this case, however I would be reluctant for her not to have any antibiotic cover at all as I fear the hotspot will get worse if we do not substitute the cephalexin for an alternative.

I'm sorry. You did recommend other antibiotics. Thank you and thank you for the food suggestions because she is not eating at all so I can try some of the others

You are very welcome. Hopefully she is feeling a lot better very soon.

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,

Richard Rawling

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling