Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have been feed feeding duke chicken and rice for 1.5 days

he passed the meat pad...
I have been feed feeding duke chicken and rice for 1.5 days he passed the meat pad, but tonight I have been up every 2 hrs b.c he is having diharrea does the chicken and rice cause diharrea that bad ? Having to get up every 2 hrs ???
can I bring back his regular food slowly now that he passed the meat pad
8/31/2017
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian here to help answer your questions. Are you available to talk now? I might be able to give you some solutions to help his diarrhea.

Yeah after he ate the meat pad the other vet I was taking to said to do chicken and rice for a few days so he can pass the meat pad so now that he had passed it he had diharrea all night last night up every 2 hrs

He likely has pancreatitis. This is inflammation of his pancreas which can lead to diarrhea and the urgency associated with it. I would slowly start to add back in his normal food. I would recommend to get a probiotic from the pet store - any will do, as long as it is veterinary. Then you can add a little canned pumpkin to his diet (regular pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling). Both of these should help to bind up his stool.

If that does not work, you can try some Immodium. How much does he weigh?

Ok I already gave him a bit of his regular food with left over rice this morning I will try the pumpkin when I get home from work... he is 106 lbs

You can give him 4 mg immodium twice daily to start. You can go up to three times daily (morning, when you get home from work, and before bed) if the twice daily is not working.

If the diarrhea continues for more than 48 hours or turns bloody, then I would have him evaluated by your vet.

Ok perfect thank you

You're welcome. Have a good rest of your day at work. :)

I strive for a 5 star rating and 100% satisfaction. If you feel I have provided this to you, please leave positive feedback. You are always welcome to contact me with additional questions or concerns. I hope you dog feels better soon!

Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Christina
he is doing fine thank you :)
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina
Dr. Christina, Dog Veterinarian