Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our chihuahua seems to have injured his back. He's walking,

Our chihuahua seems to...

Our chihuahua seems to have injured his back. He's walking, but strangely and is in apparent pain. He will eat and drink if hand fed but has not had a bowel movement today. Our regular vet was closed today.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No, there is no wound on his foot. He also will no longer hop on and off furniture like he normally does

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** we are unsure of his exact age. Possibly 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Monty?

He's lethargic today and does whine in pain if picked up incorrectly

8/31/2017
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

If you press down Monty's back along the spinal muscles and vertebrae can you find any sore spots? How much does he weigh? Is he on any medications?

I can't seem to find any spot that appears to cause him pain. He is 10lbs and isn't on any medications.

Okay thank you. It is a bit tough for me to tell you where the pain is coming from if he is not responding in a particular spot. But if he is eating well you could give him a dose of human aspirin for pain. It should be given with food to help prevent stomach upset. It has to be aspirin and no substitutes. If he is 10 pound you could give him 1/2 of a 81 mg low dose aspirin tablet. Use the human kind. You should be able to find it at walmart, drug stores, and larger grocery stores.

Then if he is still not jumping and acting painful he should see a vet in the morning.

The vet could find the source of pain, prescribe something stronger than aspirin, and prescribe muscle relaxers as needed.

How does that sound? Do you have any other questions for me?

Thank you. That sounds good. We were planning on taking him in the morning, but I was worried about him being in pain all night. Should I be concerned about bleeding with aspirin in case it is something other than his back?
Also, should we be concerned he hasn't had a bowel movement today? I think that is probably uncomfortable too.

Should I be concerned about bleeding with aspirin in case it is something other than his back?

Not unless he has a bleeding issue that you know about. Also give it with food to prevent stomach upset. The dose I told you is a lower dose so one dose for tonight should not hurt him.

Also, should we be concerned he hasn't had a bowel movement today?

I would not worry about that. If it were three days I would give him a stool softener. It it were five days I would take him to the vet for an enema.

Great. Thank you so much for you help!

If you press into his abdomen and that makes him cry or he starts vomiting before you give the aspirin then I would not give the aspirin.

You are very welcome. If you find the sore spot on his back then you could hold an ice pack on it for 20 minute intervals as well.

If you find he has stomach pain when you press into his abdomen then do not give the aspirin.

Instead give 1/4 of a 10mg pepcid ac tablet which is an over the counter human stomach acid reducer.

You are very welcome. : )

Ok. I will check his belly before I give him the aspirin. Thanks again!

Glad to help.

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby