Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has had bleeding ulcers in the past and has been on…

My dog has had bleeding...
My dog has had bleeding ulcers in the past and has been on special diet for 2 years. He started bleeding yesterday so I started him on the sucralfate that the vet gave me for immediate treatment if it happened again. He's old, but still my baby, and I don't want him to suffer. However I also don't wantvtobho to the vet again as I'm tired of the suggested 3,000$ in tests to determine if he has cancer etc. we've already decided that we are not putting this dog through the torture of exploratory surgery, Etc. when he was very sick 2 years ago they also had me give him omniprazole. Should I give that to him again? How long should it take for sucralfate to work if it's going to? Last time bleeding was do bad they thought perforated bowel and only treated him after I refused exploratory surgery.. I said if it's ulcers it will clear up, if it's something worse we aren't putting him through heroic measures anyway so worth a try.
8/30/2017
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Porthos today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

If the sulcralfate is going to help, it can take up to a week or longer. There would be no harm in giving the omeprazole as before as well. Even though you are not wanting to pursue further diagnostics to get to the cause of these recurrent ulcers, I would still urge you to at least have Porthos examined by your veterinarian. Even if they are only going to be able to suggest supportive care for him, it would be prudent to see what is needed for him. There are various therapies, even if not treating the cause of the symptoms, that can provide relief and alleviate discomfort for Porthos, but your vet would need to have a current overview of his health picture.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

The original cause was the prednisone they gave him for suspected irritable bowel disease. Don't know cause of the irritable bowel issues (suspected allergies possibly). He's had problems with stomach whole life, but turned bad 2 years ago. Unfortunately don't really trust vet and seems like they are only in it for the fees. Old vet moved to Iceland.

It sounds as if it may be a good time to seek out a new vet then. Even if you had him evaluated by an internal medicine specialist, and still chose to forego additional diagnostics and pursue only supportive care, it would still not be that expensive and would be best care for him.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian