Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog swallowed a small T-bone steak bone about 24 hours…

My dog swallowed a...

My dog swallowed a small T-bone steak bone about 24 hours ago. We haven't noticed any change in behavior but are still nervous. How long could it take to pass? Is there anything we should to help it pass?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Ruby, 18 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ruby?

Healthy, she's a 70 pound golden retriever/laborador retriever

8/29/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

There a few precautionary things to minimize the risk of an obstruction but at the first signs of vomiting it is time to take your dog to the veterinarian and have them evaluated/ x-rayed. Luckily his size shouldn't be an issue but again taking precautions is a good idea

- Take nice leash walk two to three times daily to help move the bone through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion

- Monitor for signs of the bone coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours

- Begin a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat with water added to improve lubrication but also bulk up the bone pieces and push them through

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if it passes on its own but again any vomiting or blood in vomit/ stool please have a veterinary exam and x-ray performed

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both, I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Thank you! That helps a lot! We will watch!
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian