Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had a seizure and became very aggressive when he woke…

My dog had a seizure...
My dog had a seizure and became very aggressive when he woke up. He bit my girlfriend and she needs stitches. He was very disoriented laying by the door.
Not sure what to do I'm heading back to him to now. He was quiet and sitting by the door and wouldn't move or respond to me
8/29/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

I'm so sorry to hear that your girlfriend was injured, and I hope she was able to get the care that she needed.

Was this Cooper's first seizure?

Does he have any pre-existing medical conditions?

What breed is he?

He was likely in a post-ictal (post seizure) phase when you left him. Disoriented and not fully aware yet.

first one. Was completely normal before. Lab terrier mix. He's 2 and a half now. We got him when he was 1 from a shelter. Only problems have been with his ears.

Thank you for that information.

Seizures are are unfortunately common in labs. Cooper is at an age where first seizures often happen.

When you get home, I recommend approaching him carefully. Depending on how long ago the seizure was this evening and how long his post-ictal phase was, he may still be disoriented, or he may be back to his normal self.

If he is acting normally when you get home, I recommend staying close to him this evening and keep him in a safe place (no stairs) so you are aware if he starts to have another seizure and can monitor him.

Seizures can be scary to watch but unfortunately, it is best to let them ride it out without intervening.

As long as he doesn't have another seizure tonight, or have a seizure that lasts more than 5 min, I recommend calling your vet in the morning to have Cooper evaluated. If he does have another seizure or a long seizure, he may need emergency care this evening.

I'm logging off for the evening, but will be checking my messages tomorrow.

Please send me an update on how Cooper is doing.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

He was very scared when we got home, even growling for a moment but he is now back to his normal self. What should we do if he seizes again ? It it common for post ictal time frames to increase/decrease/ stay the same? Happy to rate

I​'m glad to hear that he settled last night. I'm attaching a link to a very reputable article describing seizures: What to watch for? when to start treatment? http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=560

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

To answer your question about post-ictal times, most dogs have a consistent set of behaviors they will do after a seizure. The length of the post-ictal time can be variable however. I encourage you to meet with your veterinarian to discuss Cooper's seizure and test for an extra-cranial (outside of the brain) abnormalities which is usually done with routine bloodwork. I wish you and Cooper all the best. Thank you for the accept and review.