Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's not eating or drinking after eating a bone two days…

Customer Question
He's not eating or...

He's not eating or drinking after eating a bone two days ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Messiah

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Messiah?

I took him to the ER vet yesterday to have X-rays done. No, bones showed in X-rays. there was some bleed in his vomit but not a lot.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Messiah eat anything unusual?

Yes, a bone.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/29/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 9 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Was this bone raw or cooked?
2) What type of bone? beef, chicken, pork?
3) Did they perform any bloodwork?
4) Is he also vomiting?
5) Did they administer any medication there? Was any dispensed?
6) Has he passed any stool since the ingestion? If so, what is normal? diarrhea? bloody?

Cooked
chicken bone
no blood work
Not vomit since the bone came up
No medicine given, just fluid under the skin.
Twice after visit both was diarrhea, no blood

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/avoidance of eating, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Messiah?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Messiah... I took her to the vet because she was getting worse. I was told she have parvo. Messiah was in the hospital for two day having a round the clock care. She is home now but on a lot of meds. She is slowly improving but still not eating or drinking on her own.

I am glad to hear that she received veterinary care and is slowly improving. Don't be afraid to use the directions above including the baby food. It's common for parvo puppies to want to eat fluidy foods first before solid foods. See if the baby food works well, then move up to boiled rice and chicken mixed with baby food, then on to the chicken/rice mixture (or commercial bland diet) and then slowly switch to her dog food once she's eating and drinking well on the bland diet.