Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What is the toxic dose of ibuprofen in dogs? I'm in Cameroon…

Customer Question
What is the toxic...

What is the toxic dose of ibuprofen in dogs? I'm in Cameroon as a missionary doc and needed to neuter my dog, so I had my surgeon friend help me. We used ketamine IM for induction and did the castration without issue...this is heading into POD 4. For post-op pain, I accidentally gave a higher dose of ibuprofen once (just over 10mg/kg) and then have been giving intermittent PRN tylenol at 10-15 mg/kg (like once or at most twice per day). Also using Amoxil for a few days as perioperative abx. The wound I believe is healing ok with minimal oozing. Since yesterday it is dry. My dog is wearing an E-collar and will remain doing so because he keeps trying to lick down there irritating the wound...BUT I haven't seen him urinate in almost 16hrs and now he's running around the house in circles chasing his tail trying to lick at his wound incessantly (even with collar). SO my big question is what is the toxic dose of ibuprofen. Is he not urinating because of pain? or did I kill his kidneys with NSAID use? Or are the stitches just starting to itch and that's why he's acting so crazy right now. Hard to discern pain vs. wound aggravation...but am worried about his not urinating.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your dog ate?

So last time he got ibuprofen was over 3 days ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Nope otherwise a healthy 23+kg mid size pup

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/28/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

At 110 mg/kg gastrointestinal ulceration can arise. At 330 mg/kg, renal failure can arise. 10 mg/kg might cause transient GI distress but isn't toxic. I don't see a relationship between neutering him and not urinating. Is he eating and drinking normally?

Yep as far as I can tell, and no diarrhea no vomiting. I imagine by now his sutures are starting to aggravate from my own experiences with wound healing...any other thoughts? Hopefully I'll see him urinate this am!

Good. He will. What goes in must come out. You can dose Tylenol at 15 mg/kg thrice daily. That and an E-collar should get that incision healed up before he has a chance to disturb it. Primary healing should be complete in 7 days. I wait 10 days to remove sutures. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thanks for the reassurance. Puts me at ease. Thanks and take care!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.