Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a shar pei, he woke up this morning and has thrown up

Customer Question
his dog food , and...
I have a shar pei, he woke up this morning and has thrown up his dog food , and also grilled chicken I shredded up for him, it's like he's not digesting it , what could this be from
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Unless he ate something while we were not home, I don't think so, he threw up the chicken 5 mins after he ate ,
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he turned 3 in June
JA: How old is Pig?
Customer: He's 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pig?
Customer: No, he's has never had any problems
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/27/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your Shar Pei boy Pig who has been unwell today. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Pig today to cause this vomiting and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything that he could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. As you say this could even be a simple 'garbage enteritis' if he got in to something while you were out. Whatever the case here, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on him, and if this vomiting continues, then you will need to get him seen by your local this afternoon or ER vet tonight. Likewise, if he seems particularly lethargic now, you are best to try and find a local vet to check him over straight away.

For now, make sure Pig has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. The biggest concern right now is that he could become dehydrated. If he won't drink or can't keep water down, then you are best to get him seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start him on some intravenous (IV) fluids. You can with hold his food until the later this evening now, and from then you can start him on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and boiled white rice. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

For now, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the afternoon, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the vet.

If you think Pig is a little nauseous, you may also want to try him with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with your boy and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he can't keep water down, seems very lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hi again,

I thought I would quickly check in to see how you are doing with your boy Pig. How is he doing at the moment? Did you get a chance to follow up with your vet as yet?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian