Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My little dog ate cooked T bone steak bone, she seemed out…

My little dog ate...

My little dog ate cooked T bone steak bone, she seemed out of sorts last night, a bit down and sad on the couch, not like her, and has been up vomiting through the night and here was blood.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Dandelion, 8 months old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dandelion?

Mimi foxie

8/27/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about Dandelion's situation. This is a situation that has me concerned. If she's been vomiting through the night, could she have a blockage from that bone being eaten? It is very possible. Could something else be going on and the bone is a red herring? What needs to be done here is getting her to an ER / your vet for them to take an x-ray of her. It can help to give an indication if she is blocked due to that bone. If that doesn't seem to be the case, then this could be a case of parvo as it can look just like this. I've had 4 cases of it at my ER just this weekend. Can you get her to an ER clinic at this time? There isn't much that you can do at home except to let her rest and have small amounts of water to drink to see if she can keep that down.

I think she's vaccinated against parvo (think). There were some small pieces of bone in the vomit that I noticed and there was quite a bit of blood for a small dog (she is about 3kg). I suppose sharp bone coming up might so that. So I should seek out a vet? It's 6am here, do I need to call for an emergency or just monitor her and call in when they open?

If your regular vet is going to be opening up here in the next few hours, then it would seem reasonable to wait for them. Parvo or the bone causing a blockage are the big things to determine what the cause is.

Thank you for your help Dr Bruce. Bye.

I'm glad to help and am hoping for the best for Dandelion! Your vet will be able to help her out more specifically when they see her.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Hi Doctor Bruce,Sorry, I didn't see this latest resposne. Dandelion is fine. We went to the vet in the morning when they opened and they gave her some antibiotics. They thought it could be a gastro thing or linked to it, because she had diarrhoea the night before (but not since) and blood from both ends (thermometer had blood on it). But she is OK now :)

I'm glad to hear that Dandelion is fine at this time! I hope she continues to do well!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian