Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have A 1 yr old boxer that seems to have a eye infection.

Hi, I have A...

Hi, I have A 1 yr old boxer that seems to have a eye infection. It is very red and runny. I just got home from a vacation and my pet sitter said it could be conjuctivitis. What should I do for this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the Boxer can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the Boxer's name?

Hoss

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/27/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Hoss's eye. Can you post a picture of it here?

It is important to check to be sure he does not have a scratch on the surface of his eye. You can't see this; we have to do a special test with dye to see a scratch on the cornea.

If you can get Terramycin over the counter, that would be safe to use. It is an eye ointment but is not over the counter in all states (not in California).

I can try to get a picture if you would like me too.

That might be very helpful!

Are you able to prescribe medication ?

No, as it says on the disclaimer, we are here for information only. I can't diagnose or prescribe for a dog that I do not have a "client patient" relationship", meaning a dog I have not seen and examined myself.

You can get Terramycin without a prescription, unless you are in California.

A cool compress might be helpful. Is he holding the eye open, or closed?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Ok thanks. I call the pharmacy and they did not have the item you said to get.

It would not be in a human pharmacy; you would need to find it in a pet store or feed store.

Thanks for the positive rating.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9674

Hi Caroll,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian