Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Morning, Ive noticed that my boxer mastiff has been peeing a…

Morning, Ive noticed that...

Morning, Ive noticed that my boxer mastiff has been peeing a lot on our walks, not much pee but trying about six or seven times on each walk and the past two days at the end there is a little blood, going to the vets on monday but if they need a sample i have no idea how to do it, she squats all the way to the ground and if i get too close she will just stop peeing - any tips?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Zola

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Zola?

She is allergic to all dog food - she has been on tuna and salmon for about six months now, seems to cause the least reaction compared to everything else we have tried (have done all the allergy foods from the vet - didn't help

8/27/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Friend, the symptoms, and history that you are describing in Zola are consistent with a urinary tract infection or bladder stones. A urine sample for the vet would be ideal. But, if it is difficult or not possible for you to collect a urine sample your vet will be able to collect a sample in the clinic; all you need to do is try to not let her urinate a couple of hours prior to the vet visit. And, make sure she drinks water prior to the visit. In the meantime, increase her water intake; the flushing action of water helps with inflammation and infections. To increase her water intake you can give her low sodium chicken broth.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

If I give her chicken broth her ears will flare up badly - out of all the food groups she reacts to chicken the worst - how will the vet obtain a sample at the clinic?

I am sorry she is allergic to chicken. Perhaps you can try a vegetable broth just make sure it is low in sodium.

Your vet can do what is called a cystocentesis, this is where the vet will palpate the bladder and collect the urine with a needle directly from the bladder. This is a very common procedure done daily by veterinarians.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian