Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our Golden retriever (18months) has become very smelly. She

Hi our Golden retriever (18months)...
Hi our Golden retriever (18months) has become very smelly. She swims in the river every day and gets a full hot shower and towel dry each day. She still stinks. She does have a couple small sores (very small) on her head but most of smell around her neck and quite oily fur there too. Is there anything we can do at home to clear this up? Kylie
8/27/2017
Samuel Peck

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

The proper way to address the odor depends on where the odor is originating from. Given a Golden Retriever, especially a Golden that likes to swim in the river every day, I'm going to worry about #1 ear infections (yeast or bacterial), #2 Hot spots (especially given the sores you mentioned), #3 Allergies, #4 Hypothyroidism, and #5 given your description of her oily coat a condition in dogs called Seborrhea.

Since giving her frequent baths is not helping, I'd take a good close look at her ears, if any discharge or redness is seen, get her in for an ear cytology to check for infection. The sores on her head could be checked at the same time. If felt indicated her thyroid values could be checked. Or, if nothing else and the physical examination is consistent with seborrhea, a prescription shampoo could be recommended to help with the oily coat and related odor that is common with seborrhea- this condition is basically an imbalance in the oils of their skin and can be seen quite a bit on goldens. A diet change might also be considered to help her coat out.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions about Buffy, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks! – Dr. Peck.

Are there any shampoos I can try before vet? The vet always ends up costing several hundred dollars.

https://www.chewy.com/douxo-seborrhea-shampoo-dogs-cats/dp/110779

This is what I carry in my clinic and what I'd suggest based off of your description of the oily coat.

Keep in mind it's ok to say no to recommendations at the vet, we are used to working with limitations. So if you went in for a physical examination you could certainly decline diagnostics and treatment recommendations except for a shampoo trial, and then give them a call to request other things that were discussed at the visit at a later time - a re-check may or may not be required depending on the situation and the vet.

It won't hurt to give that shampoo a try, at the worst it's not what's necessary and you're delaying diagnosis. Check out the reviews of that shampoo on the site. If you try it, give it time to work, at least a few weeks I'd suggest.

Many thanks

You are very welcome. :) Kindly remember the best way to thank professionals on this site is with a kind rating. Thanks! - Dr. Peck.

Samuel Peck
Based on what you said and her symptoms I tried to find products online in australia to remedy. Found this site and have ordered these products.... see how I go.... https://dermagic.com.au/

Not a brand I''m personally familiar with but I'd give it a try! Good luck to you and your pup! -Dr. Peck.

Samuel Peck
Samuel Peck
Samuel Peck