Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

I'm wondering if I can use Flurbiprofen and Neo Poly Dex at

I'm wondering if I can use Flurbiprofen and Neo Poly Dex at the same time. If so...how long should I wait between giving them?
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: dog
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: she has uveitis from inverted eyelashes. She is 17
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Not sure. My wife thinks it could be migraines from uveitis
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: her eyes are red and swollen and rolled back in her head
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Anne
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Anne?
Customer: no

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

Even topically it would not be a good idea to administer both within a 24 hour period so I would either use a neobacimix without H or without dex or the flurbriprofen but it would not be advised to do both since one has a steroid and the other is a non steroidal.

It's great you asked first but please do not combine or use within a same treatment window. If you do not have a corneal ulceration using the neopolydex should be the most effective just using it more frequently, perhaps four times daily at first then taper when the uveitis is appearing to resolve to the lowest effective dose

I hope this is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She is having alot of pain that seems to be due to pressure in the eye. Maybe even a migraine. What do you recommend? I am responding for my wife. Our dog cannot see due to this as well.

The only safe pain over the counter medications for dogs is aspirin and this can be administered with a topical formula of steroid. An aspirin dose for dogs is 5 mg/ pound every 12 hours with food. If there is pressure within the eye such as glaucoma this needs to be diagnosed asap to begin appropriate therapy in order to salvage site but also reduce risk of the globe actually rupturing

Please let your veterinarian know that you have administered aspirin if you take your pet into the office because it will effect what medications would be dispensed since aspirin requires a “washout period” of 48+ hours prior to changing to another non steroidal such as rimadyl, metacam, previcox.

Administer aspirin with food and if you note any reduced appetite, vomiting, diarrhea with administration then please discontinue its use.

You can also massage the area around the eye and use cool compresses in 10 minute intervals if your pet will allow it to provide relief. Lastly keeping her in a dark room with little stimulation can also provide relief

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much. My wife has another question.She takes prednisone and had about 5mg around 10 hours ago. Would it be safe to do aspirin with the pred?

Great question and if she does take steroids then no she cannot have the aspirin

How much does she weigh and why is she on steroids?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She weighs about 45 pounds. She takes prednisone as prescribed by the vet for pain management. She recently had a bad back spasm. She has uveitis. She also takes a levothyroxin. Is there anything else to do for a headache and/or pressure in the eyes? She is also shaking her head. Is that part of the headache. Also, her back seems to be healed.

You can repeat the prednisone with food this evening to assist with pain.

I do worry about pressure in her eye and if her pupil is not responding to light I would strongly advise a veterinary er to check her eye pressure

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Can you advise on how much more pred to give?

Repeating the 5 mg dose

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
At times she shakes her head. Could that be a sign of a headache? The vet says there is no ear infection. She was at the vet about 2 weeks ago.

Again I suspect that it is due to the eye pressure you mention she is having ocular pain and this can cause a head shake. I don't think a head ache would increase head shaking because it would result in dizziness in dogs

I am online another 15 minutes if I can clarify anything else this evening?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Her last pressure check was low. Based on her current condition, are you suspecting glaucoma? If we were to take her to er and she had a pressure issue, what are the things that they might do to help?

There are topical eye medications that will increase the angle of the eye where the eye drains and reduces eye pressure, that would be what is dispensed

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great. And do you suspect glaucoma?

If the pupil is not contracting and she is not seeing well out of the eye that would be my first rule out from your description. Hopefully I am wrong but if not treated quickly it can progress to loss of sight permanently and I would rather be wrong and make sure that we are taking care of her eyesight

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much for all of your help. And how long will the pred take to provide some possible relief?

Probably 1-2 hours but please make sure she has some food with the prednisone

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should it be a full meal? Fatty food? Also, since we gave her the flurbiprofen, would they still be able to give the glaucoma treatment at the er?

No a snack is fine, no fatty foods please and the administration of the glaucoma treatment is fine with the medications she has been given today

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What are the symptoms of low pressure vs low pressure in her eyes?

There are no symptoms of low pressure except from above you can see the globe itself is smaller, she is showing symptoms of increased pressure. Others include the globe being more prominent, the pupil not constricting, pawing at the eye.

I am going to be signing off but will check in tomorrow to see if there are any additional questions

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
uveitis vs glaucoma that is.

Yes I answered that above

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman