Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs eye is swollen shut and swollen above the orbit, Gus…

My dogs eye is...

My dogs eye is swollen shut and swollen above the orbit

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?

Gus age 11

Answered in 1 hour by:
8/27/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry no one has assisted you and Gus today. I can give you some basic guidelines for this evening but if this persists please consider a veterinary exam. Especially if you are able to view the cornea and it is hazy/ blue or the eye itself seems swollen.

- Saline flush for contact lenses every 8-12 hours to flush the eye if you are able. Not solution but flush

- No rubbing! If there is no corneal ulceration this can create one but if there is one it can definitely exacerbate the tear and increase risk to the eye

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound to help relieve the itch and hopefully reduce swelling. Repeat in 4 hours over night and then every 6-8 hours for 24 hours. It will help reduce the swelling and allow your pet to rest more comfortably

- A moist towel in the freezer for 30 minutes then applied can help numb, reduce swelling and provide relief on an as needed basis

If benadryl has not reduced the swelling then I would advise a veterinary exam to ensure treatment with steroids is not warranted to reduce this swelling. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Thank you. Since we flushed his eye, there is blood tinged fluid leaking from it. We will try the Benadryl and cold compresses.
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian