Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 15 year old Yorkie-Poo with advanced heart disease

who has been on heart...
I have a 15 year old Yorkie-Poo with advanced heart disease who has been on heart meds for over a year. In June of 2016 the vet said she probably only had another 12 months left so we are already on borrowed time. The last few days I have noticed that her poop is very mucusey and now as of today has bright red blood in it. Her cough is getting very weak sounding and I am worried we are at the end. What is your opinion? Thanks.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Yorkiepoo?
Customer: The vet is aware of her cough due to the heart condidtion but has advised not to bring her in unless it's an emergency because the trip alone could kill her.
8/26/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog has a history of heart disease that is being treated with medication. Her cough is sounding weaker now and she is also having an issue with mucus and blood in her stool. Can you please tell me if the stool is soft or diarrhea? Any straining to defecate?

Stool is mostly diarrea but every once in while it looks okay. Frequently she strains so much that her anus is partialy prolapsed. It returns to normal after 10 minutes or so. Her bowel movements have become very frequent in the last day or so so there is only a small amount each time. Is her body just shutting down? Do you think she is in pain? Her behaviour is otherwise the same as always.

She has colitis, which is a common problem with stress on the body. Colitis if inflammation of her colon and it will result in mucus from inflammation. The straining will cause small amount of bleeding. This could be attributed to her current heart condition if it is causing an increase stress (i.e. if the heart disease is not well controlled), or it could be causing from an environmental stress. There are different ways to go about treating this, but the important thing to know is that itself is not deadly. This is not a sign of her body shutting down. It is an irritating condition, but it is not painful.

Probiotics, Kaopectate, and adding fiber to the food are more natural ways to treat this condition. However, I would consider requesting Metronidazole from your veterinarian. This is an antibiotic, but it also has anti-inflammatory affects that will resolve the diarrhea faster.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review. You may leave up to 5 stars when ready. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian