Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Doc, where would a mammary tumor be located on a dog? Very…

Doc, where would a mammary...
Doc, where would a mammary tumor be located on a dog? Very near the nipple or can they be further away? Thos morning I noticed a mass when petting coopers side. It is freely movable and I assumed it was a lipoma. Maybe the size of a grape. Its near the hind leg and on her side. The more I thimk about it the more concerned I get about a lymph node or something else
8/26/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Anywhere in the mammary tissue. From what you've described, you're not feeling a mammary tumor. Keep in mind that mammary gland tumor risk is 0.5% if a spay is performed before the first estrus; 8% if performed between the first and second estrus; and 26% if performed between the second and third estrus. Intact females and females spayed after 2 years of age have a sevenfold greater risk of mammary neoplasia compared to those spayed before the age of 6 months.

Nope, neither. I'm putting my money on lipoma.

Ok. Where are the ingual nodes in relation to that. I feels exactly like a swollen lymph nodes.

Deep in the crevice where the leg meets the body.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you once again. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cooper. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian