Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Can undergoing chemo cause a dog to have paralysis, My do

can undergoing chemo cause a...
can undergoing chemo cause a dog to have facial paralysis
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: My do has lymphoma and is 5 weeks into chemo. I noticed yesterday the he was drooling a lot on one side but now I see that that side of his face mostly right at the jaw is drooping
JA: The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Oliver
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oliver?
Customer: he is a cavalier and not quite 5 years old. That's about it. Oh he was on prednisone until Wednesday this week and he started drooling by Thursday night a bit, worse yesterday evening. Probably not related but thought I should mention
8/26/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear that Oliver has lymphoma at such a young age.

One sided facial paralysis would be an unusual side effect of prednisone, or the chemo therapy for lymphoma. What chemo drugs has he been getting?

I would be more suspicious that it is the lymphoma entering his nervous system that is causing the facial paralysis. The prednisone might have been working as an anti inflammatory medication (as well as being a treatment for lymphoma) and might have been reducing nerve inflammation. You might ask your oncologist about starting him back on the pred, but don't start it without checking with the doctors doing the chemo therapy.

Please let me know if this helps, and what other questions you have. I am so sorry your little dog has this cancer.

Thanks for you assistance. I was sort of thinking the same thing that the prednisone might have been masking something since this started and progressed within about 24-36 hrs of stopping that drug.I actually decided to call our vet; we don't have an oncologist on the island of Bermuda at least not for dogs ; and I'm taking him in later todayThanks for your assistance though as I will question her about the nervous system

You are welcome. Please let me know how he is doing.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian