Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She is a 13 year old greyhound and as a greyhound of course…

She is a 13...

She is a 13 year old greyhound and as a greyhound of course has a bad teeth history. Last dental was about a year ago but now her mouth is bleeding off and on. Will stop for days. But the little look she let me has looked like a loose tooth. Will it fall out on its own? Can't schedule a dental for a couple weeks due to vet schedule. Just worried. She's eating good and doesn't seem to be in pain. Even asking for snack bones.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She's otherwise in great health for her age. Just bad dental history every year.

8/25/2017
Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian

Hello this is Dr. Aaron.

I will do my best to answer all of your questions. If you have any further questions feel free to ask them at anytime. It is important to me that you are completely satisfied.

Once you are satisfied, I would greatly appreciate a positive rating so that I may be compensated for my time.

I can definitely understand your concern.

Anytime blood is coming from a dog's gums I would be very concerned. At best it is gingivitis. At worst the blood could be coming from an ulcerated mass in your dog's mouth. If you are certain the bleeding is coming from the gum line then you will definitely want to have a dental cleaning (and often times with this bleeding comes extraction(s) as well) as soon as possible. Would it be possible to go to another nearby vet for a dental cleaning if your normal vet isn't available soon?

If no, then I would consider two things (at least to discuss with your vet).

1. Pain medication

--Even if your dog doesn't seem painful, bleeding gums are painful. I would strongly recommend daily pain medication (this could be an NSAID like Rimadyl or Dermaxx AND/OR tramadol).

2. Antibiotics

-- Pulse antibiotics can prevent infection in cases like this. Often times two weeks of antibiotics are given, two weeks without antibiotics..and then the pattern is repeated.

Teeth eventually will fall out on their own but in the mean time it can lead to a very painful mouth and needless discomfort. I'm not surprised that your dog will gladly continue to eat...almost all animals will continue to readily eat despite horrific dental disease (they know they have to eat to survive).

Once again if you have any further questions please free to ask them..otherwise I'd greatly appreciate a positive rating so that I may be compensated for my time.

Thanks you and best of luck with your dog.

Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Aaron
Actually everything is going well. The bleeding has stopped and I contacted my vet for pain medication until she can get in for the dental. I didn't want to go to another vet because of her being a greyhound and 13 and my vet knows about their special anasthesia needs. So she is doing well.
Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron
Dr Aaron, Veterinarian