Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has diabetes. Sometimes he can't control his bladder.

My dog has diabetes. Sometimes...
My dog has diabetes. Sometimes he can't control his bladder. I never hit him, and if he has an accident I just clean it up. When I discipline him, he is sent to his crate. He has control tendencies. I take him on a lot of walks. We both enjoy that. If something comes up and I can't walk him, he will poop in the house. That is the only time he poops in the house. So I yell at him, when I find it, and he knows to go to his crate. Now when I go to the create he snarls and growls at me.Here are my concerns:
1. He is losing hair on his belly. Is that part of the diabetes?
2. What do I do about him pooping in the house to let me know he is upset with me.
3. Is the aggressive behavior part of the diabetes? I can do the "nothing is free" training and ignore him, but he must eat to keep the sugar under control. I have been giving a lot of treats to get his weight up. So he gets treats for any good behavior. I buy American made treats (not biscuits)
8/25/2017
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Often dogs diagnosed with diabetes will also have hypothyroidism. Hypothryoidism can lead to changes in behavior and sudden aggression. It can also lead to hair loss as well. You can read about this here:

http://www.caninediabetes.org/pdorg/hypothyroid.htm

You can read about the behavior issues associated with a thyroid condition here:

https://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/60944623740/dog-aberrant-behavior-thyroid-dysfunction#.WaCf-CiGOM8

The NILF program is a great program and high value treats are a good reward but reward can also be calm praise as well and doesn't have to be treats. I'd also do more obedience training with him so you have less control issues with him and he recognizes that you are the boss. It definitely is helpful. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

If he doesn't have a clear signal to let you know he has to defecate, then you might want to put a bell or other noise maker on the door low enough for the dog to reach. Each time you take the dog out, ring the bell. The dog will associate ringing the bell with going out and one day ring the bell to signal to you that he needs to go out.

Another thing you can do is a sod patch indoors. You take a large pan like a kitty litter pan or even a baby swimming pool. You create a platform frame with wire on top. Place newspaper or other absorbent material such as wood shavings under the platform and place sod on top of the wire frame. Since it is grass, your dog will go on it. You can remove solids and can spray the urine so it moves through and down into the absorbent material underneath. This lets you use the same piece of sod for a while before needing to replace it. You do need to replace the material under the platform.

I hope I've given you great service. If so, I'd appreciate a 5 star rating. The rating should be based on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated until a rating is done. If you have any other questions at all, please reply here and I'll be happy to follow up with you even after you have rated. .

I'm just following up on our conversation about Nemo. How is everything going?
jadedangel57
Thanks. ***** didn't check for your response for a few days. The home made sod idea is great! I do know that the deficating is him wanting to control. It's a rare occurrence and he only does it when I'm busy. I'm sure the urine issue is more physical and not really intentional, but there is a smell there. What is the best product (home made or other) to remove the smell from the floor. I have tried Nature's Miracle, but he still goes in that place.

Natures Miracle is an excellent product but it does have to be used properly. When a dog urinates, it travels down through carpet and padding and then spreads out when it hits the subflooring then starts to soak into the subflooring. In other types of flooring the urine soaks into the cracks and pores of the flooring thus the odor isn't removed with surface cleaning. You really need to let any cleanser soak into the area for at least as long as the original urine did or longer.

This is one of the top urine odor eliminators.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Strength-Stain-Odor-Eliminator/dp/B00J9MYM5O?tag=tdttbl-20

I often use bissel Pet odor eliminator but don't use it in my steam cleaner but use it as a spray.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner