Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has stomach problems, he stretches his body and cries

Customer Question
in pain, he has always...
My dog has stomach problems, he stretches his body and cries in pain, he has always done this but its getting to be every day and night, he has seizures when we go to a vet so I have an appointment on the 7th with a mobile vet but am trying to get him comfortable until then
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/25/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago

Does Oliver have any signs of vomiting or diarrhea?

Dog Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago

What you can do to try and bring him some relief until he is seen is feeding a light diet for the next few days - plain boiled chicken and rice, a little scrambled egg, plain white fish or light cottage cheese. This can help take the strain off an irritated stomach and help things settle down.
Giving ranitidine (zantac) 2-3 times daily as an antacid approximately 1 hour before his meals can help things settle down too.
It should be available over the counter at most pharmacies. For a 100lb dog I would recommend a dose of ~100mg 2-3 times daily.

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling