Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My greyhound has a growth or "lump" on top of her right leg.

My greyhound has a...

My greyhound has a growth or "lump" on top of her right leg. I was told it could be from a shot she had had, but it has remained fro 2 months and has grown slightly. It has no fluid and doesn't seem to hurt her. She is over 11 years and weighs about 65 lbs, has her appetite and is playful. I have a quote for surgery, but hope there is an alternative.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Thenk you. Her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Darby?

She is losing light a bit and has been healthy for the 4 years we have had her. We have to walk her 5 times a day to avoid accidents.

8/24/2017
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment while I review your concerns.

Thank you for your detailed history about Darby.

An alternative to surgery to remove this lump, would be to have your veterinarian do a fine needle aspirate (needle biopsy) and review the cells cytologically (under the microscope). This can help to determine what type of lump it is and if it is concerning.

Unfortunately, bumps don't always give off enough cells or quality cells to determine a definitive diagnosis based on a cellular sample, and you may not get a definitive diagnosis this way.

Once the fine needle aspirate is done, if the cells look concerning, your veterinarian will recommend surgical removal. For this reason, some owners prefer to save their money and skip the cellular sample and go straight to removing the entire mass and having it evaluated by a pathologist (histopathology). Submitting this much tissue has a much higher likelihood of determining a definitive diagnosis on the type of bump Darby has.

Could the vet have not done that when he inserted a needle and said there was not fluid? Thanks, Denise!

It may be possible that your veterinarian checked the bump to see if it was cystic and determined it was not fluid filled.

I recommend you ask your veterinarian if the sample from the needle was looked at under the microscope (either in the hospital or sent to the lab to be analyzed). This is called a cytology test.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian
Never mind. I must leave for an appointment. Tnanks for info.
DrRoyC
Phone call session started