Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Why is my 9 week yorkie so restless? He lays down and the

Why is my 9 week yorkie so restless? He lays down and the gets up and moves somewhere else 2 minutes later. He's also panting when he gets up, not during his sleep though

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 9 week old Yorkie who is very restless tonight. I am currently typing up a response that will detail a few key parameters for you to keep an eye on now, and will have something for you in the next few minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with your young Yorkie puppy this evening and we need to consider anything from an infectious gastroenteritis, to a toxicity (hopefully there isn't anything that he could have gotten into), to intestinal worms or even a foreign body obstruction. Hopefully he is up to date with his vaccinations, and if now, we have to be concerned about parvo virus as well. Whatever the case here, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on him, and if he continues to seem restless tonight, then you will need to get him seen by your local ER or after hours vet tonight.

For now, make sure he has plenty of fresh water available and encourage him to drink. Don't worry about getting him to eat tonight, but definitely encourage him to drink now and over night. If he isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making him up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed him this luke-warm broth.

Over the next few hours, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your boy and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if he can't keep water down, seems very lethargic, or if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get him seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will you please explain gastroenteritis? And foreign body obstruction? Parvovirus? He had tape worms but I took him to the vet today and he got a shot to get rid of them.

Gastroenteritis is an inflammation of the stomach and intestines and can occur secondary to a number of reasons including a simple dietary indiscretion, all the way through to an infectious issue. A foreign body obstruction occurs when something he may have ingested (such as a toy or bone) becomes lodged and stuck in his intestinal tract. Parvo virus is a very nasty canine virus effecting primarily the intestinal tract, that can lead to severe diarrhea and vomiting, and it is very hard to treat if a dog/puppy gets it.

It sounds like your boy could be responding to the tapeworm treatment. In fact if there are enough of them, they can even act like a foreign body obstructing the bowel.

Keep an eye on him as above, and if he doesn't improve in the next hour or so, do get him seen.

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will he just continue to poop out the tapeworms until they are completely out of his body?

Yes - that should be what happens here given the medication he has had, however it is best to deworm puppies every 2 weeks of age until 12 weeks, and adjust the dosage depending on their weight each time. Do follow up with your vet as recommended for this, but as above, you may need to get him seen tonight if he doesn't settle.

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if he continues to be restless take him to the animal hospital?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What do you consider heavy breathing?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He was playing a few hours ago and he continues to drink water
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He was restless last night as well. I just got him 3 days ago

If he is panting or is breathing more than 25 breaths per minute, that would concern me if your boy is resting. It is good to hear he is drinking normally, and hopefully he can settle and have a good sleep now. See how things go over the next few hours, and if he doesn't settle, then do play it safe and get him seen.

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thank you very much! I appreciate your help

No problem at all!

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do you measure how many breaths he takes? Do I just put my hand on his stomach and count?

You should be able to see his stomach or chest rising and falling with each breath. Count the number of these per minute.

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He's seem to have heavy breathing since when I got him. What is this a sign of?

It could be normal for him, but it could also be a sign of a congenital issue. If your vet listened to his chest today, they would have picked up any issues.

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He listened to it the other day and said his lungs sound fine.
Could it be because he's teething? He's been chewing on my hand nonstop

That could potentially be it if he is a little painful! Continue to keep an eye on him, encourage him to have a good drink of water and a toilet stop, and hopefully he settles and sleeps.

All the best,

Dr E

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thank you!

No problem - all the best. Dr E

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc