Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

She is having signs of a stroke. Drooling, rapid eye

She is having signs of a stroke. Drooling, rapid eye movement, falling to her left and head movement to her left.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Susie is her name and she is 14 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Susie?
Customer: She has been a very healthy dog. She was napping and woke to these symptoms.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

You appear to be describing vestibular (balance) disorders in dogs which often are thought to be strokes. A head tilt and nystagmus (eyes flicking back and forth) as well as ataxia ("drunken sailor") are pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of vestibular disease. The idiopathic (unknown cause) vestibular disorder (also called "old dog vestibular disorder") is most common and holds the best prognosis for recovery - improvement is usually seen within days and many dogs can normalize within a few weeks; a head tilt might persist. More worrisome are both peripheral (involving the inner/middle ear(s)) and central (involving the brain stem or cerebellum) vestibular disorders. Your vet will need to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam on your dog in an attempt to clarify which of the vestibular disorders is present. Advanced imaging in the form of CT or MRI might be needed. There is no specific therapy for the idiopathic form but an antiemetic might be prescribed if my patient is inappetent due to nausea and vomiting. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I appreciate your expertise. Is there anything I can do for her now?

Yes, good husbandry which involves not allowing her to stumble about and potentially harming herself. It's best not to encourage taking in anything orally until she stabilizes better. She's an older dog who can recover but recovery times can be protracted at her age. She's likely to need assistance in going outside to eliminate and she'll need her food and water close to her when she's confined to a small area. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?