Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a husky, her nose closer to the top is raw and

Customer Question
I have a husky...

I have a husky, her nose closer to the top is raw and swollen looking

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Husky's name and age?

Macy approx 14

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Macy?

No. I can also take a photo to see better if you think I should

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/24/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I would like to see a photo(s) of this area, please. You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

She keeps licking it also

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

This appears to be a nasal pyoderma - a facial bacterial skin infection that may occur secondary to trauma or insect bites. The primary pathogen is usually Staph. It's treated with gentle, warm water soaks with a chlorhexidine shampoo daily for 7-10 days. You can find these shampoos over the counter where pet supplies are sold. Systemic antibiotics should be administered for a minimum of 3-4 weeks and continued 2 weeks beyond complete clinical resolution. Macy's vet will need to prescribe the antibiotic. The prognosis is good but scarring may be a permanent sequela in some dogs.

Top differentials include autoimmune skin disorders, dermatophytosis (ringworm fungus), and nasal solar dermatitis. If you didn't see a good response to the therapy above, Macy's vet is likely to recommend biopsying the skin to clarify if one of these less common nasal disorders exist. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian