Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He's a Chihuahua, he is walking with his back kind of

He's a Chihuahua, he...

He's a Chihuahua, he is walking with his back kind of hunched up like he's in pain, he can't jump on the couch and he hasn't went to the bathroom, except to pee, in two days

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

I've looked but don't see anything

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Rico

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rico?

I seem to be the only human he likes

8/23/2017
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Is Rico still eating and drinking well? How old is he? Is he having any vomiting?

He is eating and drinking, no vomiting
He's 7

That is great that he's eating and drinking. Also very good that he's not vomiting. In a situation like this, with that mobility issue, a back / disc situation would be very much of suspicion. They can have a prolapse of a disc / a bulge, and it can cause them discomfort that shows as a slower walk and decreased jumping / getting up. If he was to start to go down in the rear legs, stop eating, or straining to go and not being able to - then the situation would be progressing. IN his situation though, he's uncomfortable and the best thing that can be done is a visit to your vet so they can evaluate him and get medication going to help him through this.

Thank you!

No problem. I'm hoping Rico is feeling better here soon. Let him rest and not be overly active till you can get him to your vet. You can video what you're seeing at home so your vet can see it too.

That's an outstanding idea!

Taking videos is a good idea for - breathing issues, walking issues, acting issues, what stools look like, vomit looks like, etc... I get lots of owners coming into my ER now with pictures and videos of things from home with their pets.

Thank you very much, the poor guy was being abused when I got him (he was only 11 weeks old) and I hate seeing him hurt

I know it is hard to see them when they aren't feeling well. Thanks for giving him a good home!

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian