Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been on hydration and meds for diagnosed Lyme and…

My dog has been...

My dog has been on hydration and meds for diagnosed Lyme and kidney failure. She is a 7 yr. old Lasha Apso.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?

Stella.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stella?

She has had all her shots. My daughter rescued her from deplorable conditions in N. Jersey 2 years ago. She always enjoyed being here with me (I'm Grandma). My daughter and I have given her Frontline. After my daughter was transferred to S.C., I inherited Stella~ good for me

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
to continue...Anyway, all I want to know is how long does it take for a dog to die if taken off hydration and meds. Have been doing this for 3 weeks, now - no improvement, even with 2 nights in hosp. I don't want to keep pumping stuff into her and causing her all this stress if she can't be cured. I would rather just allow her to die a natural death if it won't cause her pain.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/23/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Stella. The prognosis is guarded to poor for Lyme nephropathy, especially in hypoalbuminemic (decreased serum albumin level), dehydrated, azotemic (uremic) cases as I expect to be the case if there's been no improvement over 3 weeks. Live expectancy in these dogs ranges from days to weeks. Can you upload a copy of Stella's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can assess the severity of kidney failure upon presentation and the current state of her kidneys.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian