Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Second opinion] Bottom line how can rabies live in the

Second opinion] Bot***** *****ne how...
Second opinion] Bot***** *****ne how long can rabies live in the environment (if my dog brought a dead animal in the house and made a mess)I have read seconds out side the host, days, 6 days, 24 hours---second question chance for rabies to be alive in a mole that had been dead 24 hours
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/23/2017
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Dog Veterinarian
Hi, my name is***** is pretty fragile and will not be able to live in the environment especially when it is dried out. If the secretions are dry, it is already dead. The dead animal is unlikely to transmit rabies and you just come in contact with the saliva or brain tissue in order to contract rabies.Rabies could be alive in a mole that has been dead for 24 hours but if you were to pick it up with gloves on, you would not have a chance of contracting it. Inside the host it is not exposed to sunlight or dried out so it could be possible to contract rabies from saliva or brain tissue.
I would use any household cleaner (bleach, Lysol, etc) in your house while wearing gloves and that would disinfect perfectly fine.
My dog was choking on it and I had to pull it out.Our state vet said no chance of rabies though, he said moles are very low risk and had been dead too longMy bigger question it has been 5 weeks, I cleaned the best I could, prob over cleaned as there any way if a bit of brain that my dog had on his mouth that feel off or projected when he was barking could still be infectious in my basement or my truck from my clothes that I had on the way to the ER

Moles are very low risk for having rabies, that is true. When I used to do autopsies on deceased animals that were suspect rabies, we will wore extra equipment to take special precautions.

I think that you have adequately cleaned and you should not have any concern about catching rabies.

keeping everybody out for 5 weeks as well as cleaning should be good enough

Absolutely!

there is just so much conflicting info on how long rabies lives outside the animal, I have heard from seconds to 6 days

There is not much research done on this but if you err on the side of caution, assume the longest time.

but it cant live for 5 weeks that's for sure
or even 1 week
I question this because when I went to the ER the doc originally was going to deny PEP because he said the animal was dead to long and current knowledge says that the virus only lives or a few hours outside the animal (he said he called the infectious disease doc at the university)

It can't live for 1 week in the environment, it is gone for sure.

Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Dog Veterinarian
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones
Kelly Jones, Dog Veterinarian