Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Is it ok to be on previcox and metronidazole at the same…

Is it ok to...

Is it ok to be on previcox and metronidazole at the same time.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

Senior golden had severe diarrhea for two weeks. Just clear now but has wobbly back legs. Otherwise bloods good.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Jack and 13 yrs. got SARDS blindness almost 3 yrs ago and is on Thyroxine

He has been on Hills J/d food for 7 yrs but not on it now so no Glucosamine and Chondroitin. Possibly this is why his mobility is not as good as it was. I realise he is old but l dont think he's ready to go yet. He now has boiled chicken/ mince with rice and a boiled egg mixed and omega oil and a multivit. His diarrhea came on him very suddenly and was very severe. Lots of probiotic and losec also.
8/23/2017
Amber Hinson

Hi there. Sorry Jack is having this issue. I'm Dr. Amber and I'd like to try to help.

To answer your direct question, yes, dogs can take Previcoxx and Metronidazole simultaneously.

Did your vet prescribe the Previcox? Is he still taking the Metronidazole? Are you worried the combination caused the wobbly back legs?

He hasnt been on previcox for a long time. But l have some and they helped hime when he was limping last year. He was put on the Met because of the severe diarrhoea which took almost three weeks to clear. He lost alot of weight but is back eating again. I would really love to build him up again. He was almost put to sleep two weeks ago but l wanted to give him another chance. As his bloods were fine and good hearts also
I'm not sure what started the wobble. This morning one of his eyes has a drooped look about it. Very unusual.

Thanks for the reply.

What food are you feeding him now? I really like the j/d. Why did you stop using it? Not only is it good for the joints but it is very palatable and high in calories so it may put some weight back on him.

If you have Previcoxx you can use it but in reality it is not my favorite NSAID for dogs. There is higher chance of gastric ulcers forming with it. I like Rimadyl or Meloxicam better but that is my personal preference.

I would suggest you talk to your vet about adding in a pain medication like Tramadol or Gabapentin with the NSAID you are using (whichever one it may be). NSAIDs and the pain medication work GREAT synergystically together and will a lot of times make them feel MUCH better!

I can't tell you what is causing the wobble either. It could be his joints hurt; that would be my first guess and why I think you should add a pain medication to the NSAID and put him back on the j/d.

If for some reason the wobbling gets worse or does not resolve then he may need some additional testing. I don't want to scare you or freak you out but a 13 year old Golden Retriever is high on the list for cancer. Even with cancer bloodwork can be normal so don't let that fool you.

Does that answer your questions?

Off jd since diarrhoea. Trying to get him back on it. Trying it with chocken stock. He had 2 lipomas but l had them checked.
Jd has been fantastic!

If he won't eat the dry j/d then I would try the canned version until you can get him back feeling better OR you can mix them together.

Also, I'm not sure what probiotic you are using but I would highly recommend Fortiflora. It is far and away the best one out there. It comes as 30 individual packets (one a day sprinkled on the food) and I would use it all. Give one a day for a month. Mixing it with the canned food may make it more palatable although most dogs eat the Fortiflora with no issues.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Purina-Pro-Plan-Veterinary-Diets-FortiFlora-Probiotic-Supplement-30-CT/43284986

You can buy it without a prescription at most large pet stores.

Glad his lumps were only lipomas but I was more referencing a nerve root tumor or a tumor of the CNS (central nervous system)......Something you wouldn't see from the outside.

I would still get with your vet about the pain medication. You may be pleasantly surprised at how much better he does. And, those medications are very inexpensive which is a bonus!

Does this help? if you have more questions please feel free to ask. I wish you and Jack all the best and yes, J/D is amazing food!!

Last question. If he did have cancer of CNS, is it easy to check? Thanks you. Caitriona

Hi Caitriona,

No, it is not easy to test for unfortunately. An MRI or CT scan would be needed.

Hope that answers your questions. Please, if you think of anything else just let me know! Best wishes!

Dr. Amber

Wow! That is an awesome photo! Thanks for sharing it with me. He sure is handsome :) I wish you guys all the best.

If you found my answers helpful could you please "accept" and rate me. I would sure appreciate it! If you need anything else I'll be here. I'd love an update sometime!

Dr. Amber

Amber Hinson
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amber Hinson
Hi Dr Hinson, Jack is still on the go. He is eating well and drinking. Still wobbly but not ready to leave us just yet. Thanks. C

Thanks so much for the update! I will keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers! Best wishes!

Dr. Amber