Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

How to treat yeast infection in ear on a little dog with out…

Customer Question
How to treat yeast...

How to treat yeast infection in ear on a little dog with out going to the vets

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Sebastion age 5

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/22/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Is he scratching at his ears?

Scratching ear about 3 months and out side ear is not red

Is this the first time Sebastian has had problems with his ears? If it is a yeast infection there is a medication you can try to see if it helps with the ears. Whether it works would depend on what is causing the ear infection. If it is mostly yeast then you may have sucess with it. But if there is a considerable amount of bacteria associated with the ear then additional medications may be needed to correct the issue. The medication is called Zymox

the smell is bad

Yes that is typical with ear infections. The smell is usually from the moisture that is developing in the ears since the ears are dark, the yeast and sometimes bacteria can multiply quickly

Can i buy that over the counter

Yes if you click on the link that I provided you can see that it is available on Amazon to purchase. Or you can click here below for the link

Click here for the link for Zymox

Oh i just realized that you are located in Australia. Not sure of the availability of that medication in Australia

Why did they take out an extra $34 when i didn't call anyone was happy to pay the $5

I am not sure because I am not involved with the billing with this website. I can put you into contact with customer service if you would like.

please

ok they should be contacting you soon