Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Back legs not working well. No wounds. Dragging her right

back legs not working well JA...
back legs not working well
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes -- no wounds
JA: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: dragging her right leg and unsteady while standing
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: last week she went 3 days without eating -- the vet gave her a 1/2 of a cerenia pill and she started eating -- she is 12yo blue heeler her name is*****
8/22/2017
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

hello --

How long has she been like this on her back legs?

saturday night it started

Does it just seem to be one leg that is affected?

thought she just needed rest and it would improve -- but it seems to be getting worse -- got a appt for wednesday ..

Has she had trouble with her legs in the past?

no -- not at all
she has just had a lump removed off her back 3 weeks ago

Does she hold the affected leg up or does she simply drag the foot along the floor?

drags the foot and is unsteady

Did she have a fall or any other trauma when she started this?

no ---- not that i noticed -- she did run into the kitchen and slipped on the tile but did not wince or yelp -- but i don't think she started dragging her foot straight away after that ..?

It is possible that she has given herself a muscular sprain when she slipped, but the fact that she is dragging the foot rather than liming is concerning. Has she been getting stiff recently? ANy other signs of arthritis?

the vet has mentioned she has noticed arthritis

Is she currently taking any medication?

no --- she had a 1/2 tablet of cerenia
she wasn't eating for 3 days and thats what she was given -- it seemed to work

It may be that she has aggravated some arthritis and is having further inflammation as a result. This may be a sign that she is starting to require some anti-inflammatory medication long term for her arthritis.

Your vet will be able to perform a full orthopedic exam to check her feeling in the leg and her reflexes to ensure there is no sign of a nerve problem which can be more serious than a bony problem.

Until you have her checked over wit would be wise to keep her rested as much as possible. Try and keep her on one level and avoid going up and down stairs, jumping onto furniture etc. If she is dragging the foot, then be careful to check she is not scraping the skin of the top of her foot and causing trauma.

Richard Rawling
thanks for your advice

You are very welcome. I would appreciate if you could give me an update after you have seen your vet.

Best Wishes,

Richard.

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling