How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel Peck Your Own Question
Samuel Peck
Samuel Peck,
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 306
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian at Meadow Hill's
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Samuel Peck is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My English bulldog who weighs about 47 lb ate maximum 24 oz

This answer was rated:

My English bulldog who weighs about 47 lb ate maximum 24 oz of chocolate. He hasn't shown any signs and symptoms but I'm really worried something will happen. Our vet is closed and I'm not sure if it's worth taking a trip to emergency because I've read that the rule of thumb is that milk chocolate is toxic at 1 oz per 1 lb.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your English bulldog ate?
Customer: It was chocolate covered mochi crunch (rice crackers) from hawaii
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your English bulldog?
Customer: hes 2 years old and hasn't vomited and hasn't been acting weird. He's sleeping right now

Greetings, I’m Dr. Peck, a small animal veterinarian in general practice. Hopefully I might be of some help. One moment while I reply…

An emergency trip is warranted. The toxic dose is variable depending on the type of chocolate, but this is a severe toxic potential whether it be milk chocolate, dark chocolate, bakers chocolate, semi-sweet, or cocoa powder. Signs won't be immediate. You want to try to get him decontaminated before signs develop and then monitored. Get him in on emergency, they can induce vomiting and administer activated charcoal and start IV fluids and monitoring. I would not suggest inducing vomiting at home if you have access to emergency care as you'd indicated, especially with an english bulldog. They have an elevated risk for aspirating. Get him in on emergency so everything may be done under supervision of a veterinarian.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions about him, simply write me back! Otherwise, please be sure to kindly rate using the stars, so that I receive credit for helping with your question today (this is how professionals on this site are compensated for their time). Thanks and good luck! – Dr. Peck.

Samuel Peck and 3 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Samuel Peck