Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I dropped a 2 mg Coumadin pill (blood thinner) on the floor…

I dropped a 2...

I dropped a 2 mg Coumadin pill (blood thinner) on the floor and before I could get to it, my dog ate it. He's a 100-pound dog.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sam?

No. He doesn't have any health problems. He's 7 years old. He's a Lab.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/22/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Please don't give this a second thought, 2 mg of is actually well below the therapeutic dose level for a dog of Sam's size. In fact for his weight the lowest toxic dose would be 44 mg.

2. Given the above there are no special measures you need take, he should be just fine. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Sam's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Oh thank God. Thank you so much!!!

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian