Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

She is a malti poo 10 yrs old.She has a loose tooth looks

She is a malti poo 10 yrs old.She has a loose tooth looks like a bicuspid on her upper left side .has tartar on it but the rest of her teeth are clean,this is loose and we would like to remove it .Can we do that safely for her?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mischa
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mischa?
Customer: She is healthy but has a heart murmur.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. The situation is this, if the tooth is very loose and you can quickly remove it by pulling it with your fingers then this would normally be OK. It might perhaps cause a slight twinge of pain but in most cases the tooth socket would then heal without problem. However if you encounter resistance and removing it yourself is not possible in the above manner then it would be best to have your vet handle it. With a very loose tooth they might just grab it with forceps and pull it that way in any case.

2. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What do I put in the tooth socket after it is out to help stop bleeding.?

It should stop naturally and not be a problem, just the same situation as a human tooth after extraction really. However you may want to flush out her mouth with luke warm salt water after the extraction and then apply an ice cube to any bleeding area.

Loose teeth like this usually bleed very little after extraction compared to more healthy more strongly embedded teeth.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott