Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 52 lb. lab mix rescue dog. We were gone all day…

We have a 52...

We have a 52 lb. lab mix rescue dog. We were gone all day yesterday and while away she licked up spilled Terro ant killer. We fed her dinner and she slept thru the night. But first thing this am she vomited up everything she had eaten last night. A couple hours later she vomited again what looked like just bile. What should we do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She is 6 years old and in excellent health; until now!!

8/21/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that your pup lapped up some liquid Terro Ant killer.

1. Did she eat the plastic container too?
  2. What is the active ingredient in the product?
  3. Is she bright and alert or is she lethargic?
  4. Can she keep water down?
She only licked up the sticky fluid from the ant tray. The package says it is sodium teraborate decahydrate (borax). She appears bright and alert. She seems to hold down some water, except for what appears to be bile.

Thanks very much that helps, give me a few moments to type up my thoughts.

Just send the test please.
text

Borax (sodium tetraborate) is a fairly safe chemical. It is a desiccant, which is how it works on insects, but a dog would have to eat huge quantities to see significant stomach upset and that would be the only thing you are likely to see. It is not organ toxic.

It is likely this one time ingestion will have no long term effects, but it sounds like it did cause significant stomach irritation.

To try and settle her stomach today you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation. One of these medications should be given for about a week to 10 days to aid in healing.

I would not feed her any food for 24 hours after the acid reducers are started.

This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or ice cubes given frequently are fine as she needs fluids after all that she has lost with vomiting. You can give her pedialyte to replace electrolytes too but Gatorade is much too high in sugar which can make her intestinal irritation worse. Do not her drink too much at any one time as that can lead to vomiting.

After her food fast start a bland diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken), all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. If she gets mucous in her stools then add 2 tablespoons of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal. Feed small meals frequently until you figure out that it is sitting well with her, then gradually increase the amount and decrease meal frequency. I would start with 1/4 cup for the first meal.
Once she feels better (no vomiting for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular dog food very slowly. Less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.

If she has a tense painful abdomen, continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, becomes very lethargic, or runs a fever greater than 103.5F then she really must be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible on an emergency basis as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian