Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

He ate a small amount of dried up geranium leaves. 5 months

He ate a small amount of dried up geranium leaves
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 5 months old Rottweiler
JA: OK. The Expert will know if the Rottweiler will be able to digest that. What is the Rottweiler's name?
Customer: 62 pounds
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Rottweiler?
Customer: No, he's normal - large - name is Ronan

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

The toxic priniples in geraniums - geraniol, linalool - can cause vomiting, anorexia, depression, and a contact dermatitis but it would take far more than a small amount of dried up leaves to seriously intoxicate a dog the size of Ronan. I would overfeed him and encourage the intake of tasty fluids such as milk, cream, broths, and bouillons in an attempt to dilute however much was ingested. There's no need to induce emesis or treat medically in any manner.. Please respond with further questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm sure he won't mind your remedy - guess I'll give him more of his Weruva soft food!Do plants lose their toxicity when they dry? Or perhaps lessen the toxicity? Funny - he stayed away from the fresh leaf.

You're correct! The best of remedies! Yes, just as prescription drugs lose potency over time so do the chemicals in plants. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm all set - thank you!

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.