Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

Jake is almost 14; overweight dachshund. He was tested for

Jake is almost 14; overweight dachshund. He was tested for Cushings a few months ago but it was negative. Almost every night he stays awake panting profusely. Last night he also peed on the floor 3 times and on the bed once. I am at my wits end! He also has trouble walking on his back legs on my laminate flooring. Vet says his back is "sore" but does not suspect disc problems. HELP PLEASE!!!
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dachshund?
Customer: My other dachshund passed away in April - this pretty much started since she passed. They were not real close.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Has he been drinking more recently?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A little.

Any sign of weight loss?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No

What prompted your vet to test for Cushings? Was it due to the panting?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

The panting could also be due to pain. Is he on any medication for his sore back?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He gets Robaxin every 12 hours, Deramax in the morning and Tramadol at night. I also give him Gabapentin 2 hours before bedtime in an effort to get him to sleep. He DID NOT get any pills last night, however. He wouldn't take them.

What dose of tramadol do you give him?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
25 mg

Do you have an idea of Jake`s weight?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He fluctuates between 37 and 40.

Ok, to start with, that is a fairly low dose of tramadol (if he weighs 37-40lbs). He could tolerate a dose of 50mg without issue and this will likely have a better pain killing effect. If his deramaxx is wearing off overnight and he is on such a low dose of tramadol, he may be uncomfortable overnight, leading to the panting. Have you tried a higher dose of tramadol so far?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No - I had the Tramadol left from my other dog and the vet said it was ok to give it to him. I've just been giving him the same dose she took.

Initially it may be worth giving a higher dose of the tramadol, to see if that helps. Does he seem more comfortable during the day?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he does. Do you think the pain may be causing the excessive peeing (in the house), too?

The peeing in the house could simply be a stress response, so yes, it could be attributable to pain. It may be worth having your vet check out a urine sample however, to rule out diabetes or kidney issues.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We did test his urine when this all started and he had a UTI; he was put on an antibiotic and it went away. No other problems detected.

Ok, has he had blood work other than the cushings test?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think so - I think they did a complete work up and something in those tests prompted them to do the more indepth (expensive!) tests for Cushings. I saw 3 different vets (same practice) attempting to get a diagnosis.

In that case if diabetes and kidney disease has been ruled out, I would be keen to try the increased tramadol dose to see if that yields an improvement. You could also try and give the deramaxx in the evening instead of the morning, to see if things are any better with a change of regime.

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok - just to clarify, when, and how often, should I give the Tramadol? Can it be taken instead of Deramaxx or should it be given with the Tramadol? I only have a few of those left - they are VERY expensive. If Jake really needs them, I will continue to give them. Thanks so much for your excellent advise!

You can give the tramadol with the deramaxx if you intend to give them both in the evening, however initially, I would stick to your normal routine but increase his tramadol dose to 50mg instead of 25mg. Hopefully this is clearer.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Richard Rawling
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He seems a little better taking the 50 mg of Tramadol; however, when I called my vet to get a refill for him, she said I should keep him at 25 mg. I am taking your advice and continuing with the 50 mg.