Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions
Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.
Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.
I am sorry to hear this happened.
I will need a little more information to better help you.
How long ago did this happen?
Is he acting normal otherwise? Any vomiting?
Is there xylitol in the gum? You will need to check the box as the products vary.
Do you have any hydrogen peroxide at home?
I see. He only ate the once piece, correct?
Given his weight 8kg, and the amount ingested (maybe up to 0.58mg), he would have at most been exposed to about 0.073mg/kg of the xylitol. Toxicity starts at about 0.1mg/kg. I suspect he will be fine without any issue. What you want to watch for is him being tired/lethargic, and not having much of an appetite. The dose is not toxic, and i do not really expect any major issues as long as it is just the one dose.
You shouldn't need to induce vomiting or do anything else at this point. He should be just fine. The nicotine can sometimes cause very mild upset stomach, but this is unlikely at this dose.
You are very welcome.
I wish you both the best.
I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!