Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is very constipated. I don't know what to do please

My dog is very constipated...
My dog is very constipated. I don't know what to do please help
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/21/2017
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Giving food grade mineral oil can be very effective for constipation. If you can give me some idea of your dogs size, I can recommend a suitable dose.

He is a ***** ***** about 11 years very active normally, but his stomach is very hard & extended a lot of tenderness around that area in the last 2 days.

Has he been passing any feces at all? Is he straining to go?

he is trying to go but not passing anything

I would start with a dose of 3ml mineral oil twice daily to see if that helps. You can safely increase to 5ml twice daily if that is having little effect. How is his appetite?

Up to last night he ate well but this morning I noticed he had not touched his meal then later in the day he ate it up
Where will I get mineral oil from please

If he has shown no signs of vomiting so far, I would try the mineral oil for a few days initially and see if that helps.

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling