Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

Ingested rat poison, The dog ate cat rat poison. I got him

Ingested rat poison
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the rat ate?
Customer: The dog ate Tom cat rat poison. I got him to throw up what looked like a lot if not all of it, I'm not positive. I just bought activated charcoal and the only vitamin K that they had was K-2 so I got that as well.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the rat?
Customer: There wasn't a rat. Just that the dog ate rat poison.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

How long ago did he ingest the rat poison? Can you give me an idea of your dogs size?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. My dog weighs 45 lbs. I got him to vomit up a good amount, perhaps all, I'm not positive. I gave him 90 capsules of activated charcoal at 520 mg. I just bought more charcoal as well as Vitamin K-2. They didn't have K-1 but the K-2 indicated promotion of blood clotting.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The K-2 is 100 mcg
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He ingested around 3 hours ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello?

Ok, great. It sounds like you have done all the right things so far. The activated charcoal should be given at 1-4g per lb every 8 hours, so I would recommend giving a dose of ~90g three times daily. Can you confirm how much activated charcoal you have given so far?

I would recommend a vitamin K dose of 50mg three times daily for 7 days. However this dose is based on the vitamin K1 dose as there is little experience giving vitamin K2 in this context.

Do you know the active ingredient in the rat poison?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
far I have given him 90 520 mg charcoal. So should I not bother with the K-2? I can get him to the vet for k1 in the morning and still be within 12 hours.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The active ingredient is Bromadiolone.

Giving a dog 90 capsules sounds like quite a feat! Did you open the capsules and mix them with food?

It sounds like you have the low strength charcoal for gas. He should received approximately twice that dose. It would be wise to obtain vitamin K1 and it can be useful initially to give the first dose by injection to get blood levels up more quickly, so getting him to your vet would be the best way forward. Your vet will also be able to provide you with more concentrated activated charcoal which should make life easier for you.

The main side effect from coumarin derivative rat bait tends to be bleeding problems, so look out for any signs of bruising, nose bleeds, bloodshot eyes etc, if you see any of these signs then I would recommend taking him to an ER vet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did mix the capsules with some wet food, unopened because they wouldn't open easily. Can he eat his food thus evening? Or would it be better if he did not eat tonight he only had a minimal amount of food with the charcoal. So there would be no benefit to giving him the k2?

How long will it be until you can get him to the vet? Giving the K2 now could interfere with the K1 dose if it is likely to be within 8 hours. If he is showing no signs of further vomiting, you can feed him as normal.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The vet opens in 7 hrs so it sounds like I shouldn't do the k2. Should I feed him in the morning before the vet or not?

Yes, he should be fine to be fed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I give him fish oil or anything else that might coat his stomach?

The activated charcoal really is the best you can do to minimize his exposure. Fish oil etc is likely to have no benefit.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** him another 110 capsules opened and mixed into his wet food. It sounds like that will last him until he sees the vet in five and a half hours.

You are doing all the right things so far. Hopefully things will be just fine.

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your help.

You are very welcome,

Best Wishes,

Richard.