Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 9 month old labrador swallowed a 15cm rubber child's toy

Our 9 month old labrador...
Our 9 month old labrador swallowed a 15cm long rubber child's toy on the week end, the toy was deflated as it had a hole in it, but now 48 hours on I have not seen it come out, it may have and I have not been home. What symptoms should we look for if it is causing problem?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Labrador will be able to digest that. What is the Labrador's name?
Customer: Taffy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Labrador?
Customer: I don't think so, he is behaving normally and active and eating. He is having bowel movements too.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/21/2017
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 9 month old Lab boy Taffy who managed to eat quite a large children's toy in the wekeend!. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. This sort of case does worry me since so often I see dogs such as Taffy in my clinic who have accidentally (or otherwise) ingested toys, bones and other objects and more often than not, these need to be removed via surgery. Large rubber toys can easily cause a partial or complete obstruction in the stomach or intestines, and even though Taffy is likely around 20kg by now, it is still very likely this is causing an obstruction, albeit a partial one if the is otherwise ok. For now, you are certainly going to need to continue to keep a close eye on him, over the day or two. If Taffy starts vomiting or goes off food, then you really do need to get him seen by your local vet to follow up and investigate whether he does have an obstruction.

There are a few things that could happen from here including a partial chronic obstruction, a full complete obstruction or even something like an intersucception where the bowel telescopes in on itself. If your boy doesn't defecate in the next day or two, it may be worth having your Vet take a couple of abdominal xrays (plain and contrast ones to help highlight a foreign body). If it seems as though there is something stuck in his gut, the next step will be an exploratory laparotomy (opening up his abdomen) to be able to get the foreign material out. You will need to get Taffy seen immediately if he starts to vomit, or seems uncomfortable over the next day or two.

All the best with Taffy, and as above, because an obstruction is a real possibility here, you really will need to continue to keep a close eye on him. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Thank you we will head to the vet tomorrow.

That's a good plan given your boy's age and the size of this toy.

All the best,

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian