Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 7.8 lb Yorkipoo has Addisons and is taking 1.25 mg of…

My 7.8 lb Yorkipoo...

My 7.8 lb Yorkipoo has Addisons and is taking 1.25 mg of prednisone a day. She is constantly drinking water and urinating. She is restless and depressed. Can the dose be lowered to relieve symptoms ? Her Addison has been under control but vet hasn't lowered the dose. He said I can try giving it every other day. We want her too feel better.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Yorkiepoo's name?

Teddy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Teddy?

She hasn't been eating much despite the prednisone. Another vet prescribed a 7.5 mg appetite stimulant to get her eating.

8/21/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Ok

Prednisone can be tapered to 0.05 - 0.125 mg/lb daily or, practically speaking, 0.5 - 1.25 mg daily (the current dose) for Teddy. I would ask Teddy's vet why 0.5 mg daily hasn't been tried. Does Teddy suffer from atypical Addison's in which DOCP injections aren't necessary?

Teddy has cortisol shots every 28 days

Thank you. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Thank you very much for your help.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian