Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Is it okay to give dogs cerenia and opemrazole at the same

time JA: I'll do all I...
is it okay to give dogs cerenia and opemrazole at the same time
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: found out he has pancreatitis
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: he keeps nipping at his right side at the back on his hip area after eating. it is a long story and been to vet already and to Auburn university ER and he has recently had some k-laser treatments
JA: OK. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buddy and his age is 15
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?
Customer: he also had some places on his back biopsied and have not heard from those and he had a foreign object removed from his stomach in June and was yelping before this was removed. Carried to the vet for the yelping because knew something was wrong and this is when they found the foreign object and thought this was the problem but the yelping continued and still happening
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/21/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry to hear that Buddy is having such a difficult time recently

To answer your question, the two medications cerenia and omeprazole are safe to be administered together. Typically I do recommend the first dose of any new medication to be administered 1-2 hours apart to ensure there are no issues and if there are which one is causing the issue. But from there it is fine to combine the two for ease of regularity of medications and less hassle for you

Buddy can have both medications, there are no contraindications on giving the omeprazole and cerenia at the same time

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

he has already taken the opemrazole before and since he was still having the pain, stopped giving to him, went back to vet and this is when he received the k-laser treatment and the doctor gave him a shot of cerenia. So we just wanted to make sure if we continue with oral cerenia and gave the opemrazole to would this be okay.Have you heard any success with K-Laser treatment on dogs. I know it is mostly for muscle and joint issues but see that it could help if pancreas has inflammation. He just keeps biting at the right side in the same spot and will roll on his side like he is trying to get it to stop.

Yes the combination should be just fine

Yes I use the laser on my patients and personal pets regularly with phenomenal success. Hopefully the laser will help this subside but I would also consider acupuncture if this is available as well

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

If this is food allergies would this make him nip at the one spot only after he eats?
What are your thoughts on digestive enzyme supplement, giving this to him with his food?

Food allergies that are gi related are typically vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, swollen belly. To test the theory however you can do a food trial. Surprisingly most food allergies are to the protein in diets not the grains so using a food that is specifically for this purpose, which is where the proteins are broken down beyond the point where the body recognizes the protein as beef, chicken, fish and monitor for improvement in signs. These foods include: royal canin h/p (hydrolyzed protein), hill's z/d ultra

-During the food trial he cannot have anything besides these diets and this can be a two week trial. So no treats nor other foods. This is the best way to rule out food allergies

I would recommend considering a panel to Texas A&M called a TLI, Folate, Cobalamin before doing a digestive enzyme supplement to see if there is any warrant for this addition

You can try B12 injections as well as probiotics such as proviable to see if this helps with the biting at the side

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance tonight. I am online another 10 minutes to assist you

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Vet sent him home with Hill's Z/D and he is still continuing to do this. We are aware that it takes 18 hours for the food to travel through his system, the vet told us, so thought it might be allergy to chicken, because this has chicken in it as well. Royal Canin have not tried but also have not seen good reviews on it. Bought Castor Pollux Wild Salmon and Sweet Potato Grain Free Dry Food and started it this morning and today seemed better. But was also given the cerenia or the omeprazole, but will try giving both tomorrow along with the food.

Although there may have chicken in the z/d it is hydrolyzed meaning the protein is broken down past the point of the body recognizing this protein. If he was on this it really should be continued for 7-14 days without anything else to ensure this is not helping and an abrupt food change really is not advised for your pet...

I have felt the same way because I think Buddy's system is just all messed up with everything that has been going on. Giving him this medicine, that medicine and then going to Auburn University ER and then back to his regular vet. Changing foods and so forth, I am sure his system is all messed up.My sister has a yorkie and she has been scratching a lot and she is trying the no treats and changing her food and so far she has seen improvement, so this is why I thought food allergy.

I know how difficult it can be to see your beloved senior friend having these challenges. Hopefully you can get this chewing under control soon

Thank you for your help. May need to ask further but will do so tomorrow.
Have a good evening.

You as well, I am online in the evenings so there maybe a delay in response if you do have additional questions tomorrow...

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian