Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog is a 60 lb boxer lab mix about 11 months old. I found an old bottle of round up in the yard where she chewed the top

He is a 60...

He is a 60 lb boxer lab mix about 11 months old. I found an old bottle of round up in the yard where she chewed the top off. I imagine it poured out but he probably licked it. It just happened about 39 minutes ago. He looks fine. Anything I should do? Thsnks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the Boxer will be able to digest that. What is the Boxer's name?

Marvin

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Marvin?

No he seems fine and I am not sure he even ingested any of it.

8/21/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Glyphosate (Roundup) is considered to be of very low toxicity to dogs. In fact, no toxic effects were observed in a chronic feeding study with dogs fed up to 500 mg/kg/day. That doesn't mean, however, that less serious side effects won't be seen such as lethargy, anorexia, hypersalivation, vomiting, and diarrhea. Clinical signs usually appear within 2 hours and can persist for 24 hours post-ingestion. Marvin's prognosis is excellent, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?