Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My pomeranian ate some chocolate cereal, only three of four

pieces, should we take him...
my pomeranian ate some chocolate cereal, only three of four pieces, should we take him to the emergency vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your Pomeranian will be able to digest that. What is the Pomeranian's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is 7 mo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Watson?
Customer: no all is normal
8/21/2017
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How minutes or hours ago } ?

2. How much does Watson weigh { In pounds } ?

1. Just a few minutes ago.
2. he is 7 pounds

OK, thanks for that, just typing out your answer now ..

Hello again,

I have very quickly worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Watson in any way, so no need whatsoever for an ER vet visit, in fact there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on him. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than he ate before you would see signs of toxicity. But lets talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 7 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 4.9 { More than one quarter pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Clearly the amount of chocolate in three or four pieces of chocolate cereal is going to be very minimal indeed, so no worries as far as chocolate toxicity goes.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Watson's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian