Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Heartworm symptoms. They didnt do a simple blood test. Just…

Heartworm symptoms Veterinarian's Assistant:...

Heartworm symptoms

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

They didnt do a simple blood test. Just wanted me to pay 200 for xray

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No thanks

8/20/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. IF YOU GET REQUEST FOR A PHONE CALL, IT IS FROM THE WEBSITE AND NOT MYSELF. JUST IGNORE IT. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What symptoms does he have?

What specific questions do you have that I can help you with?

Shes 11yrs old. She is constantly coughing. The vet prescribed a pill to stop the coughing and said xrays would cost over 200. Couldnt they have just did blood work?

Thanks for the information. If heart worm disease is a concern as the cause of the cough, then a blood test absolutely needs to be done. The heart and blood vessels do have a certain look with heart worm when an x-ray is taken, but the diagnosis still isn't definitive. A blood test should be done to confirm it. I would start with a heart worm antigen test, look under the microscope for baby heart worms, called microfilaria (lack of microfilaria doesn't rule out heart worm disease) and proceed with a chest x-ray after that. Even if a heart worm test is positive, it doesn't necessarily mean it is the cause of the cough, especially in an 11 year old dog. It could be chronic bronchitis (very common), different heart problems, pneumonia, lung tumors, etc. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

She has had a healthy life up until this point. If its heartworm, is it contageous? I have another dog.

No. Heart worm disease is only transmitted through a mosquito. A mosquito will bite an infected dog and consume the microfilaria. From there, it has to go through 2 stages in the mosquito before it becomes infective to another dog. Hope this helps.

Ok. Thanks for your time.

You are very welcome. Let me know if you need anything else.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John