Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

14 yr pit male neutered, up to date on vax and hw prev, he…

14 yr pit male...

14 yr pit male neutered, up to date on vax and hw prev, he is pacing and looks like he can't get comfortable also maybe stiff in rear right leg. He is also walking up to walls at times and standind there, and starting to pee and poop in the house although he is 2 feet from the dogggie door. His stool is now dark tar color and his gums are pale pale pink. He drinks a ton of water but urine is concentrated. He barely eats and now starting to throw it back up. I'm sure he has arthritis and cataracts and I'm almost certain his cognitive issues and no he is Not on any medicine for any of these things right now ( steroids, nsaid's, anapril etc) I realize he probably needs to be euthanized, but should I put him through any of the steps needed to take to possibly help with his issues, if there is help...I fear he's bleeding internally because he appears to be anemic, and with his dark tar looking stool I just don't know?!! Help push me in the direction!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the pit?

Not really, I had to leave him almost 2 yr ago to be with my daughter in the hospital so my son and his dad have cared for him, i saw Bullet yesterday and he really didn't know who i was I don't think.

8/20/2017
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response to your question!

I am so sorry your senior friend is showing these signs. I agree he likely is bleeding with black stools indicating an upper gi bleed but also the standing and staring at walls, restlessness and unable to get comfortable, vomiting even small amounts of food.

I can give you some handouts to help with this terrible decision. Often we look at quality of life as whether they are still doing any of their favorite things, whether it be a favorite toy or treat, sitting with you while on the couch, barking at the neighbors to name a few. In addition, do they still have the "light" in their eyes, meaning are they still responsive to their environment and you or are they dull, listless, and fading away?

Quality of life assessment handout: http://www.peacefulpetdepartures.com/quality-of-life-assessment/

Pain assessment handout: http://www.csuanimalcancercenter.org/assets/files/csu_acute_pain_scale_canine.pdf

I know this is a terribly difficult decision to make and I hope this information is helpful. Some areas in the country do have hospice care that can help guide you in this decision making process. There is a list of options below for you to review:

http://csu-cvmbs.colostate.edu/vth/diagnostic-and-support/argus/pet-hospice/Pages/pet-hospice-resources.aspx

Please let me know anything I can do to assist you both in this difficult decision. Any questions or concerns I can assist with to clarify how to make this decision please don't hesitate to ask and please disregard any automated follow up questions by the site. You do describe a difficult scenario and without being terribly aggressive in getting him comfortable with cost and putting him through some challenging treatments (which may include surgery) this is a very challenging situation for you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask. If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you

Ok, I figured he probably was bleeding out, it is hard because I haven't been able to be with him in his last 2 yrs of life due to my daughter's illness I had to move closer to a hospital and live in an apartment and because of his breed and her condition it wouldn't have worked out for him to be here. I'm actually a vet tech but have been out of work with my sick child. I know he is probably suffering and there is definitely 'no one home anymore' so I just needed that unbiased push or reassurance to do what I already knew needed to be done. Thank you so much

You are very welcome, I know it must be so challenging to be away from him in his senior years but you have to concentrate on your human baby as well

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian