Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a female cattle terror mix. She has not eaten or

I have a female...

I have a female cattle terror mix. She has not eaten or drank all day and is throwing up yellow, I assume bile.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

B'rin, 18 minths.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

My dog's name is***** is usually moving around and active. Of she is not doing that, she is lying down. Now, she is currently either walking slowly through the house or standing idle and not lying down to rest.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about B'rin?

I know that she is no fixed and is about a month from her next period. And a couple days ago, my mom told me that she might have eaten a part of a toy.

8/20/2017
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can she keep anything down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)? What kind of toy?

Any diarrhea?

She liked up baby aspirin right after I gave it to her. And she does tell when I rubbed her belly.

Oh dear,

When did you give her Aspirin? Before or after the vomiting?

What dose and what is her weight?

Do you mean she has belly tensing?

What color are her gums?

Her gums are pink and moist somewhat moist, but not sticky. And the only thing I know that might be the cause is possibly eating part of a squeaky toy or that her period is coming soon.
She is 45 lbs. I gave her two 81 mg baby aspirin tablets.
This was before going to bed. She was puking earlier in the day.
Her belly does tense and she whined when I rubbed it.

Hello again,

Now first I have to warn you that Aspirin was not right to use here. Aspirin is a drug used for mild pain relief, it is not meant for gut upset and vomiting. In fact, it can make gut upset worse and even cause stomach ulcers in dogs off food. So, you do not want to give any more of that since we don't want to harm B'rin. So, instead from here, you need to give her an OTC pet safe antacid. [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. This will help with her nausea but also limit possible damage to her stomach from the aspirin. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if you give this and she cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from her vet.

Afterwards, her stomach should be more settled and you can consider starting B'rin on an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning her slowly back to her normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check that she isn't dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, do make sure she doesn’t have sunken eyes and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, her signs do raise a few concerns here (ie foreign body like the toy, bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, uterine infection, general dietary indiscretions, etc). Therefore, we have to be careful. Especially as the Aspirin only would do more harm then good. So, we need to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she is quite sore with her belly shows paling of her gums, black stool, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is no blockage from the toy or an ulcer, nor any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, gastroprotectants, +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Ok, I'll do that. Thank you. I'm not sure how to rate you on this chat...

You are very welcome, my dear.

For that you need only click on the stars at the top of the page or note a rating of 1-5 (5 being best) in a reply.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Thank you. I've been freaking out all night just because I don't know what's going on. Having some possible answers and instructions has calmed me foen.

You are very welcome,

I am glad I could shed some light and give you guidance here. :)

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian