Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Dog just eat about 15 -20 Ibeprofens out of a purse he…

Customer Question
My Dog just eat...

My Dog just eat about 15 -20 Ibeprofens out of a purse he got into. What do you recommend ???

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

My Dog just ate around 20 Ibeprofens out of a purse, what do you recommend ( Standard Poodle around 60 Lbs. ??

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Perry almost 8 years old . Standard Poodle around 62 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Perry

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Perry?

That is it for now,

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/20/2017
Dog Veterinarian: benedetta7, Veterinarian replied 10 months ago
benedetta7
benedetta7, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr Benedetta, and I would like to help.

Ibuprofen in that amount can be very toxic and cause bleeding ulcers, as well as kidney and liver failure.

My recommendation is to have Perry seen at an emergency hospital where they can induce vomiting, and offer supportive care.

You can also make Perry vomit at home, by giving him/her 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, and making him/her trot around to agitate the content of the stomach. This can be repeated once more, if it does not work the first time, but if it still does not work, Perry needs to be seen.

If this was my dog, I would go directly to the hospital, though.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you have further questions!

benedetta Sarno, DVM

Thank you !
Decided to take him to the 24 hr. Vet

Definitely the best decision!

Hope Perry does well!