Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

A 15lb mixed breed we has eaten a small piece, approx. 3/8…

A 15lb mixed breed...

A 15lb mixed breed we has eaten a small piece, approx. 3/8 inch square of a brown mushroom. 45 minutes ago. no change in condition. Should we go to emergency vet for charcoal? I have a picture of mushroom if that will help.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Sorry, A dog, about 3 months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Winnie

8/19/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I have a picture of the mushroom and size of potential bite if that would help.

I am sorry to hear that your pup ingested part of a mushroom, and I fully understand your concern.

The problem is with mushroom toxicity symptoms can take 10-12 hours to become apparent, and by then it is too late to induce vomiting or help them much.

Toxic mushrooms (Amanita, Galerina, and Lepiota species mushrooms) have toxins that attack rapidly dividing cells. Initially they can cause gastrointestinal upset symptoms (nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, both of which can be bloody and profuse), fever, high heart rate, and elevated blood sugar.

After 24 hours the pup seems to feel better, but the damage continues internally.

In 3-4 days the next phase is sepsis (systemic infection due to bacteria leaking from the intestinal tract) liver failure, kidney failure, brain swelling, low blood sugar, and bleeding due to the effects on the dog's ability to properly clot. Eventually we can see seizures and coma, and then death.

At this point because we don't know the type of mushroom Winnie ate it is best to induce vomiting and get it out of her system.

It is best to treat all mushrooms as very toxic and attempt to induce vomiting, then give activated charcoal to absorb any residual toxins.

Since it has been less than 2 hours I would induce vomiting to try and get the mushroom pieces out.

Induce vomiting by giving her 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 tablespoon per 10 pounds of body weight ( 1 & 1/2 tablespoons for a 15 pound dog) directly orally, or mixed with a little ice cream or bread chunks, then take her out and run her around to get the peroxide fizzing.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once more.

Once it has been 2-4 hours it will be too late to induce vomiting.

If you do not have peroxide I recommend an emergency clinic visit to induce vomiting.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks , we will proceed

You are very welcome, please let me know if you have any questions about what I have written.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian